Monday, January 29, 2007

New Equipment!!

If you haven't noticed the new lists on the right featuring 'Equipment Owned', etc. this is the post to tell you about my new equipment! This weekend I went home to pick up my new camera, Canon Rebel XTi as well as the CF card and my two lenses that I currently own for the camera. The first lens is the usual kit lens which I got with the deal basically for nothing and the second one is my zoom lens from Sigma.

More details on the kit lens; 18-55mm with f/3.5-5.6 aperture. This lens I have used before while borrowing the XT from Iowa State, I wasn't greatly impressed, but I wasn't displeased and thus for now this lens will do for my portrait and wide angle shots of landscape.

The Sigma lens is something that I'm looking forward to using and getting used too. It's the latest from Sigma, the APO DG Macro lens that goes from 70-300mm and thus is a great range of zoom that I can use for various things. The aperture ratings on this lens go from f/4-5.6 and as noted in the name also has a macro feature on it. I haven't done anything with the macro feature to see how effective it is, but I doubt I will use it too often anyway and thus wasn't a huge influence on buying this lens. I tested this lens over the weekend at a wrestling tournament, I was pleased with several of the pictures that I had proper focus on. Others were quite close to having good focus, but while zooming at the 200mm level or greater the focus can be quite touchy, especially with such quick moving objects and so many of them. I hope to get a few of those images up later in the week along with some images of the ducks/geese that I plan on taking on Thursday.

That's all I really have for now, within the next months I will accumulate a tripod, a remote shutter as well as other accessories for the camera. Look for lots of new images from me as I continue to test out the camera and lenses. These pictures will hopefully be featured on my 'gallery' pages that I'm working on at the moment... Always busy updating things, I can never be happy with what I come up with, always thinking bigger and better!

0 comments: