Tuesday, May 27, 2008

May 21-27 Chase & Travel

Today finds the severe weather threat for the plains diminishing, with only minimal chances for severe weather and nearly no chance of significant severe weather. For this reason I am back on the road to Iowa (490 miles), currently traveling I70 near Salina, KS with under 6 hours of driving remaining. I will be going through plenty of video and pictures over the next few days from this past trip, all-in-all I believe I have 8 tornadoes, wind gusts over 100 mph, and 2"+ hail to show for the trip. It is by far the best chase I have been on and certainly glad that I was a part of the TWISTEX group for this event.

Other happenings on Sunday, including the Iowa tornado that went through Parkersburg and New Hartford areas are disappointed in the stand point that it was a deadly severe weather outbreak this past week. I have not even had time to look back at all of the events that took place even in Kansas, but I do know that people were killed in western kansas on Thursday and/or Friday. If you read through the information on the TWISTEX site and what we are doing, I'm certainly glad to be aiding in scientific research on storms, etc...

My previously scheduled time with TWISTEX has came to an end, and others are going to take in place my role that I had this past week. I will still continue to chase this season, likely throughout the northern plains outbreaks and local chases in my northwest Iowa region. Maybe I will meet up with the TWISTEX crew somewhere in the northern plains and enjoy conservations like I have this week. It was a great week with the storms and the people, so just to put out a nice thanks to Tim Samaras, Carl Young, Dr. Bruce Lee and Dr. Cathy Finley, Tony Laubach, Verne Carlson and his sons, and my fellow car-driver Chris Karstens. Enjoyed meeting several of the other chasers out there this past week, glad that I have not heard of any significant injuries to those that were out there during that crazy two day stretch.

Next chance of good severe weather looks to come on Thursday, with the theat even beting in the northern plains states of SD/NE/MN/IA! More updates on this threat in upcoming day(s).

0 comments: