Thursday, June 9, 2016

Next Big Project: New Roof!

Today's big home improvement project was a new roof (shingles, underlayment, flashing, etc.). Thankfully this project didn't involve any manual labor on my part!

The prior roof had numerous impact marks from hail and deemed in need of replacement by insurance. The new, and upgraded roof? An impact resistant (class 4) and 110 mph rated architectural asphalt shingle. Means the shingles should be able to handle 2" diameter hail and those 110 mph winds without damage! A very necessary upgrade for Kansas in my opinion, and you can often get a decrease in your insurance premium for installing such a roof.

New Roof in Progress

New 'Weathered Wood' colored shingles


1 comments:

mountain kimmie said...

Looks great, and you are smart to do this! I assume you have a storm shelter too? I think if I was building or remodeling I'd have a utility room built as an above ground safe room. It would add a little to the cost of new construction, but I can't imagine it would be that much more than a conventional below ground shelter
Properly engineered it could withstand F5 winds and would be a room you used every day for the washer and dryer, pet feeding area, etc, so would be useful even when it wasn't saving your life! I don't know why more people on Tornado Alley don't opt for something like that (or your upgraded roof). Other than not having the money, of course.