Friday, May 4, 2007

Summer Plans

An exciting opportunity was given to me in the last month, a scientific research project that will have me chasing throughout the plains states during the month of June. Because of this I was asked to do an interview with KICD Radio, whom I was formerly an intern with. Below is a transcript, with some audio of the interview as played on the radio:

(Ames, IA) -- An Iowa State Meteorology student and former KICD/KLLT weather intern has landed a choice summer assignment.
Jayson Prentice got a recommendation from the head of the ISU meteorology department. He'll be working with nationally known researcher Tim Samaras.

-- Audio Clip 1: 0:00 - 0:28 seconds

Samaras is also planning to do some very high speed photography of lightning; to the tune of a million frames per second.
Prentice will be driving one of the chase vehicles. But he'll also be forecasting where to intercept severe thunderstorms.

-- Audio Clip 2: 0:30 - 0:48 seconds

Prentice's first day as a weather intern at the KICD/KLLT stations was June 11th, 2004. That's the day a record 11 tornadoes touched down in Clay County in one afternoon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be working with Samaras for the entire month of June, while other members of the Iowa State meteorology department will be working with me during that time. Others will also be with him starting this weekend and through the rest of May. During the time I am out in the field, I will be providing updates on this blog as well as the Stormcenterusa Forums. Several other plans are in the mix for possible features to the site showcasing the day to day traveling/chasing we are doing. This research opportunity is not only brought on by Samaras and Iowa State, but also funded by National Geographic among others. Thus, some details may have to be left out during the chase as well as some photographs, etc. dependent on what we capture. But, by no means figure that there won't be pictures up daily of some of the excitement! If you have any other questions or comments, be sure to add them to the end of this post by clicking on the comments text.

Besides this opportunity I have several other plans in the mix, including a trip to Florida next week with my girlfriend and her family. I depart next Tuesday evening, arriving back to the plains by the next Tuesday/Wednesday. My sister as well as my girlfriend are both graduating this year as well, making the rest of May eventful as well before I head out in June. Plenty more updates on my personal ongoings as well as the forecast updates in the future! Hope you stick around to read much more about it...

0 comments: